LISTINGSHOMESLOTSACREAGEFARMSCOMMERCIALAUCTIONS
SEARCHTOOLSSTAFFLOCALEMAIL

 



 

 

Sequatchie Valley Real Estate & Auction, LLC
Call (423) 949-3418  or Toll Free 800-550-3418
Fax (423) 949-3790 
 email: SVRealEstate@bledsoe.net
15287 Rankin Ave. S
PO BOX 728
Dunlap, TN  37327


Dunlap Chamber of Commerce


City of Dunlap

Dunlap Statistics & Information

Census Bureau QuickFacts - Dunlap

Things to do in Sequatchie County

Sequatchie County Images

Sequatchie County Profile

 

UTILITY COMPANIES

  • Sequatchie Valley Electric Cooperative
  • Bledsoe Telephone Cooperative
  • Dunlap Natural Gas
  • Dunlap Water System
  • Local Parks and Recreation

    Fall Creek Falls State Park


    Dunlap Coke Ovens Park

    Tennessee Tree Toppers


    Dunlap Drive-In Theatre


    Johnson Family Farm

    Chattanooga Chamber


    Chattanooga Visitors Site

     
     

    Local Churches
     

    Dunlap

    Local Banks
     


    Citizens Tri-County Bank


    First National Bank


    Mountain Valley Bank


     

    Hamilton County Information

    Hamilton Country Schools

    Hamilton County Government

       

    Dunlap, Tennessee is in the beautiful Sequatchie Valley.  Waterfalls, panoramic vistas, secluded log homes, - all in the beauty of the mountains of Tennessee. But better than that are the people whose nature and goodness of heart reflect the beauty of these surrounding mountains.

    Dunlap, Tennessee (TN), United States

    Facts & Statistics
    Place Name Dunlap
    Place Status (Type) city
    Capital Of Sequatchie County
    Population 3,731 (1990)
    Location Sequatchie County, Tennessee (TN), United States, North America
    Latitude 3523'N
    Longitude 8523'W
    Sequatchie County
    Created 1857 from Hamilton, Marion and Warren counties, the name linked with a Cherokee word “sequachee,” probably meaning “opossum, he grins or runs,” also the name of a Cherokee chief for whom the Sequatchie Valley is named. Named in honor of the valley in which the county lies. This, in turn, was reportedly named for the Cherokee chief who journeyed to Charleston, South Carolina, in the first half of the 18th Century to sign a treaty with the Colonial government.

    Dunlap , city (1990 pop. 3,731), Sequatchie co., E Tenn., on Sequatchie R., and 23 mi/37 km N of Chattanooga; 3523'N 8523'W. In fertile agr., livestock, timber, coal-mining region; mfg. (wood prods., small engines, zippers, parachutes).  

    IN THE BEGINNING....

    The first settlers moved into the Sequatchie Valley, then Roane County, around 1805, soon after the first treaty was signed with the native people. Some of these early settlers were Wilson, Oxsheer, Tollett, Standefer, Griffith and Anderson. Louise Maxwell Anderson is believed to be the first white child born in Sequatchie Valley in September 1806.

    The oldest county in Sequatchie Valley, Bledsoe was named for a member of the prominent Bledsoe family of Sumner County. The most likely candidate for this honor is Anthony Bledsoe, a practical surveyor and Revolutionary war patriot.

    Bledsoe became a county in 1807, during James Sevier's last term as governor. James Standefer and John Tollett were appointed in 1811 to select a place for the county seat. Alexander Coulter donated forty acres "to erect the town of Madison."

    Much of the land acquired by early settlers was a result of laws passed by the Tennessee State Legislature 1806-1809 which allowed a settler to claim the land he was living on as well as other unclaimed lands. Some of these early claimants were John Billingsley, John Hankins and John Narramore.

    Sometime between 1816 and 1818 the county seat was moved to Pikeville.

    Bledsoe County was and is comprised of many small communities often bearing the name of a church, store, or post office. These are very often family names.

    In 1832 Matthew Rhea listed four place names on his map: Pikeville, Big Springs, Madison and Rainey.

    In 1836, by an act of the Tennessee State Assembly, Bledsoe County was divided into 10 Civil Districts. The gentlemen responsible for the districting were Isaac Stephens, Samuel McReynolds and Samuel L. Story.

    In 1856 the Northern part of Bledsoe County became part of Cumberland County and in 1858 portions of Southern Bledsoe County were given up to Sequatchie County.